Sunday, January 06, 2013

Running Speed and Running Training Speed

(Originally wrote this on 1/2/2013 about my 1/1/2013 run)

I had my first full and actual gosh darn Speed Training session yesterday (12 x 400m at 5K goal pace with 400m jogs in between).  By the second run interval, I was fighting with myself over pace and ability to finish.  During EVERY interval, there was a point where I told myself I could not finish this segment, much less the workout.  

I focused on two thoughts:

* How good will it feel to finish my FIRST speed workout.

* OK, screw it, just do the next (current) interval and then we will slow them down.  

But I finished and felt good!  OK, I felt tired and a bit pained, but I also felt good about myself and what I had accomplished.  

I also looked back and my workout pace.  I started running again in mid-July and in August, my pacing for training runs was between 14:28 and 15:23.  In the last couple of weeks, it has been around 11:20!  Wow,  3 to 4 minutes per mile faster!!!

I have also abandoned the Galloway run/walk method.  I still use it for warm-ups, but my easy, tempo, and long runs have gone to all running with no walk breaks.  My body seems to be adapting and I really feel like I am getting stronger.  The training times prove it, which makes me very excited to see what I can do this spring during the racing season.

No comments: