Thursday, November 02, 2006

2007 Plan

I have already posted my 2007 Goals. Paige, Cooper and I went out for supper after trick-or-treating and Paige and I discussed them. "11) Help Paige run a 5K" -- was a surprise to her, but she did not object and agreed to support me in all of them.

I then sat down with Hal Higdon's Marathon training book and my 2007 Training Calendar (a Moleskine!) and plotted in my training plan, taking into account meetings, travel for work, holidays, family vacations, etc. Cooper's birthday is the first week of tapering, so the party plans should help to get my mind off the reduction in mileage. I read through Hal's entire book, underlining heavily and making notes in the margin for things I need to learn. As I go forward, I will make lists and laminated cards that I can use so I make sure I implement all the tips to make the most of my marathon experience.

I then planned the rest of this year. I have a busy two months ahead of me with two races, three trips for work, and the holidays. Plus, I need to sneak in some vacation during this time. It doesn't help that I have a four-year-old and both my wife and I work in retail related jobs. Paige recently added a second job, so she is low senority in both places for getting holiday time off. So, I have to have a plan for Cooper while I run in addition to figuring out when and where I can run. Throw in the uncertainity of weather, and it is shaping up for a schedule that I will have to be flexible and adjust as needed.

But then again, that's what makes life fun!

No comments: