Sunday, November 12, 2006

Vet's Day 8K


Very cold and windy at start. Temp was in the 20's and wind made it colder. This was billed as a "European-style" cross country and the course did not disappoint. Race registration suggested "trail shoes or spikes" and I wore trail shoes; I am glad I did. Much of the course runs through a park that has been created as part of the Grand Forks Flood control project after the 1997 flood that forced the evacuation of over 95% of the city. The starting line was at the top of a small but steep hill that was very near the site of the first apartment Paige and I shared 17 years ago. After a whort ceremony to honor Vetern's Day, we were lined up for the start. Course was out and back. Starting line was immediately down the hill, then along the bottom for about 50 yards and then turned and came back up the hill, across a road, and back down the hill. We then ran along the river through the brush. Ground was marshy and very uneven; I was glod for the vibram soles in my trail shoes. We crossed a dirt road and there was an area of grass on both sides that had been "mulch-seeded" with the green paper mulch and grass seed. I noticed one set of deer tracks crossing the line of run. At about the 1.25 mile mark, there was a short downhill that was VERY steep. I used trees and walking sideways to make my way down. Then we ran again along the river until we made it to the park entrance, near where our good friend Pete grew up. There we ran up the dike and started along the top.

I heard a loud "That's my dad, go dad!" at this point. Cooper was parked with Grandma and Grandpa on the street on the "dry-side" of the dike. He was proud of me and it gave me a much needed burst of energy and, more importantly, encouragement that carried me through the rest of the race.

After about 1/4 mile along the top of the dike, we ran down the dry side in the area that was posted "For public sledding". We then ran along the bottom through what used to be part of the old Lincoln Park Golf course, across the street from another friend's (Greg Norby) childhood home. Then it was back up the dike to run along the top. We ran for another 1/4 mile and reached the turnaround point.

As mentioned, the course was out and back. I won't do a play-by=play of recovering the route, but there were a few hilights. On the down section off the "sledding hill" portion of the dyke, two young ladies decided to lay down and roll down the hill for fun; it gave a laugh to everyone.

The "STEEP" hill I went down earlier now had to be gone up. About 78 runners had gone down and 71 had gone back up by the time I got there; the ground was all torn up and I had to struggle for hand-holds of grass and brush to help myself get up.

I almost fell twice. I caught my toe on a fist sized rock and stumbled. Then I got back to the rough, marshy ground. It too all my focus on the ground 2-3 feet in front of me to get through this. I even slowed down; I just wanted to get through with both ankles and knees intact so I could finish the last 1/2 mile of the race. I almost twisted an ankle once, and struggled the entire section to find a place to set my feet down that was solid. I also picked up 6-8 cockle burrs, three of which were on my ankle right above the shoe and poking through my sock with every step. I had to stop and pull them off my ankle, then remove my glove to get them off my gloves. . . The rest rode to the finish. My mom said one guy had about 60, so I guess I got off fairly easy.

I ran with a group of women most of the race. I was behind them through the first part, caught, passed, and opened up a lead on the dyke top where the running was fast, and then lost much of that gap when I slowed down in the marsh. I opened up again in the last 1/2 mile into the finish.

I was hoping to run 59:59 or better. Mom said the early runners were talking about how tough the course was after they finished. I won't use that as an excuse, but I will use it as a reason to be happy with my 1:01:40 and 72nd place.

Sent mom and Cooper home in my car and I ran the .89 miles back to their house for a couple of bagels, some Gatorade, and a shower.

No comments: