Thursday, August 17, 2006

Feeling good

One of the really cool things about starting running after a long sedintary lifestyle is that you really notice improvement almost every day. Last night, I did Run/Walk Intervals (8min run, 2 min walk) x 6 for 60 mins of workout. About 4 weeks ago I was dying at the end of a Run-30seconds interval, now I was doing 8 minute runs at a good heart rate and still able to answer calls on my phone. My heartrate was rapidly recovering during the walk (rest) periods. I worked myself well into the fat burning period of exercise beyond 45 minutes at an aerobic pace.

But I do realize it is not always going to be like this. I dug myself a deep hole with 15 years of relatively little exercise and poor eating habits. It is going to take me longer than a few weeks to dig my way out. The pace of progress will slow and I will have many weeks when I struggle; feeling like I am slipping backwards or barely maintaining where I am at. When that happens in the future, I just need to remind myself:

1) On June 1, 2006, I would have found it impossible to perform at the level of what will be even my worst workout currently.

2) Performance has peaks, but also has valleys. Look at the big picture: During my lowest valley in 2007, 2008 or beyond I will still be in better shape than I was from 1988 to June 16th, 2006.

That is what I will use as part of my motivation to continue.

No comments: