Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I'm Free!

Ok, just for yesterday. I did my first run in Nike Free's. I did just a short run (2miles on the treadmill). It felt like I was running barefoot (which is good and bad). I am a big guy and there was not as much cushioning, so my knees and hips felt it. But two other things happenend: my foot bones got a work out and I had to concentrate on my style. I "slightly" supinate but when my legs get tired, I tend to roll outwards more.

A couple of years ago, I rolled my ankle and after three weeks of hobbling around, I was finally forced by my wife and her MD cousin to get it xray'ed. The PA came in with the results and sad he had two pieces of good news: I didn't break my ankle and my previous break healed fine. Which would have been great news if I had known before tha moment that I had broken my ankle. I had a clear virtical crack up the bone from the ankle area and I had no idea how it had gotten there!

I could feel myself starting to get a bit tired and I focused on my running style to avoid problems. The feel of the Nike shoes was great help. I guess I am confessing that I am "drinking the cool-aid" and adding runs in the Nike Free to my training regimin.

No comments: