Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Two "Duh!" breakthroughs today!

OK, experienced runners will say "Duh!!!!!" if they ever read this, but today's run was an ephinany for me. I had major breakthroughs in breathing and stride while running on the treadmill.

Stride first. I figured out that LSD (long slow distance) was key and I was doing my intervals too fast and at too high of a heart level. When I slowed pace down, I felt like I was going too slow and I had a short, choppy shuffle rather than a stride. Today, I felt like I reached the point where even though I had a slow pace, I had a better stride. Now, here is the embarassing part. When I closed my eyes, it felt really good. When I opened my eyes, I still looked silly and slow, but it felt smoother and it felt like running! Hopefully, in about 10-12 weeks when I start upping speed, it will look cooler!

Breathing -- My breathing sucks. But the good points are that now I know it and I can improve it. I was able to slow my heartrate well into a running interval by focusing on my breathing. Deep breaths, good exhales, breathing from my gut rather than just the upper chest; you know -- all the things any beginning running book will tell ya. Well, I read it many times, but it finally sunk in today and my results felt much better. Recovery during the walk intervals was much better and I was able to run faster at a slower heart rate than Monday's workout.

Who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick? ;) The rule definately does not apply to old penguins!

By the way, if you experienced runners have stopped laughing and read this far, I am willing to bet that it did not come natural to you either when you first started. Those little things that you reject as "Duh!" or overly obvious are the things beginning runners are confused about and afraid to ask. So help us out! Ok, getting off soapbox. . .

Keep running!

No comments: