Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Stupid and not Running

Ok, I read the section of every running book I could find on avoiding injuries. I went out and found the best shoes, etc. I was going to make my return to running healthy and problem free.

Sunday morning I ran 8+ miles (bit distracted -- see "Running sad") My heart rate monitor says I put myself in a 2200 or so calorie deficit. Didn't feel like eating much when I got home for emotional reasons (see "running sad" above), although I did eat about 1200 calories. I did hydrate ok and downed a liter of gatorade and some water. Around 9pm, I got the shakes, a fever, a headache, and the chills. Got about 900 calories into me and went to bed. Didn't sleep too well until after 8am Monday and spent most of the day sleeping. Had bagels/Peanut butter and fruit throughout the day and a bowl of pasta last night and slept overnight pretty good.

So now, I am reading about recovery and getting some professional advice on how to do a better job of eating after long runs to avoid my body getting really mad at me and trying to kill the few remaining brain cells that survived my college years. I also need to be aware of my mood and enlist my wifes help in forcing me to eat on days I don't feel like it.

I flipped Monday's light 30 min run and Tuesday's rest day on the schedule so I am back on training plan. But I now know what distances I am going to have to start making allowances for in training plan. I admit that running 8 miles was impossible to consider two months ago. Now, my body can do it, but I need to have a plan to recover from it before I continue to push harder.

No comments: