Saturday, September 23, 2006

#349


One of the things I felt the Fargo Marathon lost was the great starting location on top of the new Main Ave bridge, when it moved the start/finish lines to the Fargodome in 2006. I guess I was not alone, as the Marathon put on "Bridge Bash 2006!" to kick of the registration for the 2007 marathon. Top male and female runners in the 2.62mile race (10% of a marathon) got free entry into the marathon. There were also a bunch of doorprizes and a nice course.

I was bib #349. As usual, I went out too fast. I also put my Garmin 305 display into the wrong mode and nothing there made sense! Took me quite a few glances and almost a 1/4 mile to figure it out. But I settled down in the middle sections and ran my race. There were people around me that had a faster running pace, but had more and longer walk breaks. So we passed each other about 5-6 times in the first 2.25miles. But around 2.25, I picked up the pace and the body responded. There were also a couple of downhill portions and I let the stride go forward. I basically blew past quite a few people that had passed me between 0.75 and 2 miles, but were now fading. I actually had a kick!!!. And you know what? I still left some in the tank; downpayment towards future speed needs.

No comments: