Sunday, September 10, 2006

Stupid things I did this weekend

Regardless of how many John Bingham books and articles I read ("I am slow, I am a penguin, I need to stop caring about what other's think and run my race. . .") , I still do stupid things!

I go out too fast, I am more worried about the pace of someone else than my own pace. I am embarassed to be seen running slow.

The latest; got tricked into a bad decision on clothes.

OK, Friday afternoon around 5pm, pull into a parking space near the finish line of the Dick Beardsley 1/2 Marathon/5K and get ready to run the course. There are lots of runners in town doing their last taper runs and three, blond, high-school girls com jogging past in shorts and cotton short-sleeved tee's. So I decide I must be macho! I put the long sleeve shirt back in the bag, pull out the short sleeves, and unzip the pants and take off. I get about two blocks up the road and I want to turn back for more clothes! I ignored it because I was tough! About the end of the first mile, I am in the sun and among the downtown buildings and the shorts and top feel good! Then, I turn a corner and the breeze from the lake hits me, along with the major shivers.

Moral, I am a whimp. I am forty, over-weight, and don't care what other's think about me; especially young blonds. I love my CW-X tights and will wear enough clothes to stay warm. I promise to remember this until I forget it again and get distracted into thinking that running in 33* rain in shorts and a singlet makes me a "real runner." Perhaps this old dog can't learn. . .

No comments: