Sunday, September 10, 2006

Beardsley 5k Race Report


Race Report (5K):

Course -- Great. Fairly straight, but rarely level. Their were no "killer" hills, but there was also little level ground. The hills were not something I ever really noticed when I drove the course, but they did slightly affect pacing. Lines were VERY "professionally" painted. It is not often that you find a small local race in which the lines are painted by the man who has run the 4th fasted marathon in US history and your name is annouced by a world record holder as you cross the line.

Support -- Great. Everything from a couple of bands to an elderly couple that "self-volunteered" to dress up in Leiderhosen and play an accordion on their front walk. Crowd cheered well.

Pack -- Large and friendly. Lots of runners, but I never felt "hemmed" in.

Weather -- Good. It was 46* at race time and did not warm up that much. Little problems with overheating.

5k race -- It was advertised as a run/walk, but it was a run. 260 of the 341 finishers finished in under 36:00. There were only a couple of stollers. This was my third 5k (1 previous run, 1 worked). My quick take is the pack, as a whole, was much faster but the race was slower. The other two 5k's were in the warmth of July, but the winner was between 16:05 and 16:10; here first place was at least 0:30 slower. And it sounds like there was a gap between first and second; second and third. The thought just occured to me that all the colleges are in session and at least two runners that I know that could have won this race are probably unable to run.

Spaghetti feed -- Call me picky, but I like lots of mushrooms in a non-meat sauce. I also like thick and soft bread instead of thin toast. Turnout was nice, it was spaghetti, it was reasonably priced, and it did it's job. Coversation was good.

Talk and Guest -- Doug Kurtis filled in for Greta Weis and did a fine job. Doug started by mentioning that it was tough to go on after Dick. This is true, especially in the town that has adopted Dick as its own. I think even most celebrities and politicians would not be happy with that line-up. That said, Doug did fine and the question and answer section was good.

Personal support -- My cousin Chris was there for the race. I also ran into other friends from Fargo (Leah, Steve & Tiffiny, Brian). And, of course, Paige and Cooper were there with my bag and hugs.

Personal Race -- I just finished the 7th week of my running program and I have only been working on endurance; no speed training. I am still very slow. I was uncertain of what I could run and knew I would be happy with anything 41:59 or better. On Friday night, I wrote down in my notebook 37:12. Thought I was crazy at the time, but that is what I felt "compelled" to write. Paige asked me on the way to the race and after a pause, I told here the same time. My stopwatch, (which I started when I started to move forward) read 37:01 when I stopped it at the finish! Chip time was 36:26, a new PR! My heart-rate monitor says I pushed it well, but I probably had a bit more in the tank and I did not give a real intense kick. So I definately have faster times in me. Overall, I was very pleased with the time and felt very good.

No comments: