Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Running Podcasts

I have joined the iPod generation and started listing to podcasts. I have found "running" podcasts and love them! The podcasts are basically radio shows by runners for runners. Like everything else, including blogs, they range from boring to fantastic. Here is short review of a few of them:

1) Phedippidations by Steve Runner. (http://www.steverunner.com/

I love this one. Steve is a self-identified" middle of the pack runner. His broadcasts are always interesting, he mixes in interviews, mp3 comments listeners have sent in, and even some music. Most podcasts are approx 55 minutes. The archives have 67 podcasts and Steve has been consistent at releasing 1 per week.

2) http://www.irunningradio.com/

I definately enjoyed these and recommend iRunningRadio. Content is good; duration is good. Jim Reimann communicates well to beginning and average runners that are looking to improve and enjoy running. Jim is joined by his wife Bonnie and other guests as topics dictate. I especially recommend the shows on "Best Running Movies" and "iPod Running Lists" iRunningRadio has published 29 podcasts since November 2005. I would love to see them more often, but my guess is Jim is spending most of his time these days on his podcast on Fantasy Football. . .

3) Runner's World http://www.runnersworld.com/marathon/archive.html

Good Information from great sources (Amby Burfoot on Long Runs!!). That said, the average length is 7 minutes including intro and exit songs. There have been 9 episodes this fall focused on the fall marathon season. I really hope they will continue and expand their podcasts, but we will have to wait and see. . .

4) Competitor's Radio http://www.competitorradio.com/archive.php

I have only listened to 2 or 3 podcasts here. The interview of AJ Acosta is fantastic! Same with the interview of Bill Rogers. Duration is good. I don't honestly know enough about them to rate them on frequency of podcasts. The show is also wider than just running. A lot of the shows in the archives are interviews of cycling or triatheletes, and focus on topics other than running.

5) Run Cast Weekly http://www.runcastweekly.com/podcast.htm

I will put this one here without a recomendation. Topics list looks good, but the last posted podcast is August 29, 2006. I will post updates here when I have had a chance to listen to them.

I plan on putting up a permeanent sidebar with links for these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marc!

Thank you for the kind words about my goofy little podcast...I agree with you about all the others, they're great and I'd honestly encourage listeners to check them out over mine, but I appreciate your review, here in your post.

Run long, and taper!

- Steve Runner