Saturday, October 07, 2006

Thar be hills here -- Oktoberfest 5K/10K

Oktoberfest is a GREAT 5K cross country course that followes both a golf course and the hills around it with great views of Lake Lida. 10K is twice around. All runners get a beer stein and the crowd is great.

1) I ended up running only the 5k. I intended to run the 10k, but the sleep deprivation of the week got to me.

2) I placed second in my age group and got a ribbon. I have to deeply thank EVERYONE that is my age that slept in and allowed me to my win.

3) There were hills! Oh boy, there were hills. Some uphills and downhills were too steep to run. Much of the course was uneven and even sloped side-to-side, which I really dislike running on.

4) Course was dry and windy. A wet course would have been hard to deal with!

5) Overheard: "This is not a ourse that you want to wory about time, unless you are comparing year to year. . ."

6) Overheard: "If I was a local cross-country coach, I would make my team run this course for training. Those that don't drop out will be ready for anything because this is WAY tougher than they will ever see in a race.

7) Heart rate was REALLY high for as slow as I was running. Maybe those hills were a bit tough. . . :)

I really did enjoy the race. I will definately run it again. I strongly recommend it to anyone not in my age group.

No comments: