Sunday, November 25, 2012

10m Easy Run

Today was my first attempt at over 8m since my boink on a 10m run in early September.  I admit that it took me quite a while to get going and try the run; I was pretty anxious.  First 9 miles went well.  I managed my pace well until about 8.8 and then turned in a five minute segment about 30 to 40 seconds fast.  That turned out to be my "last glory."  The last half mile was slow and struggling.  I was near boink again. I had a Hammer recovery powder and my new "mixer bottle" and that helped. But I did spend quite a few minutes in the locker room with a towel over my hung head both before and after a shower.

I am feeling much better about 4 hours later, but my legs are letting me know I stressed them.

I have been reading in the Hanson Marathon Method book about cumulative exhaustion; today I felt it with a 7 mile on Thursday, 4 on Friday and Saturday leading up to this run. One thing, in hindsight, I realize is that my delays in hitting the track combined with a mediocre breakfast probably contributed to this.  I did have a GU before the run and a second at 3 miles, but that was too late.  

Even though I near boinked, I think I went a way towards both learning about it, spotting warning signs, learning I can recover quickly, and lowering my fear factor.  Hopefully I can turn this into better and longer runs in the future.

No comments: