Saturday, November 03, 2012

A tale of two races

I ran the Sandy Donuts 10K this morning.  My entry goal was sub 1:15 which would be a good test and set me up for an attempt to break last month's PR next week.  It was really two separate races: a fast first 5k and a painful second 5k.  I did beat my goal, lodging a 1:12:23.

There was snow on the ground and 34* at race time, but the forecast of more snow/rain during the race and a lower temp (28*) did not come true.  There was also little to no wind.

I went out strong and did the first 5k in 34:51, my fastest 5k this year by 1:40!  But I faded badly and ran the second half almost 4:30 slower.  What happened?

1)  I overheated badly!  I was wearing my new coat and the lack of wind and 6* warmer caught me by surprise.  I stripped off hat and gloves, and opened my zipper, but I could not cool down.  I finished basically soaked from head to ankle, with wet coat, LS shirt, and tights.

2)  I ran the last 3 miles alone.  I had a 300yd lead on the next place runner, and 300yd deficit on the two runners in front of me.

3)  I had two runners that were even at me through almost 4 miles, and then both of them left me in the dust; they accelerated about 20 seconds per mile, and I lost the same.

4)  I ate great last night, but did not have enough this morning.  I needed two more banannas.

I faced the mental battle and could not sustain my pace.  My 6th mile was about 2 1/2 mins slower than my first and I described my "heat stroke" as dying to a fellow runner.

I am pleased with my first 5k, and I told myself, before I kicked myself too hard that this was not a goal race and I beat my plan by 2 1/2 minutes.

Cool down was followed by a quick rush to get dry clothes on and get home into a hot shower.

No comments: