Saturday, November 24, 2012

Turkey Trot Recap

The Lake Agassiz Pacers, our local running club, sponsored a 5m Turkey Trot on Saturday, November 17th.  Morning weather was about 38* with a 10mph south wind.  The race started at Edgewood Golf course, and followed the river south through the residential area.  It was out and back and flat.  About 160 runners participated.  I set my goal for 55:00 about three weeks ago, and spent the last two weeks wishing I had not.  But I published it to my blog but had decided I could not reach it.  My mind was telling me I would not break 56:00 and 57:00 might be more realistic.  

I was switching shoes in the car right before the start and talking to Paige. (yes, I actually ran in a “racing flat” shoe for the first time!).  I noticed an older gentleman in bright orange coveralls (the “road construction” type, not “jail” type).   I remember him from the 5K LAP had last month.  I said to Paige that he would toy with me for the first half and then blow me away by the end; which he did.  

The race was small enough that I was able to get “on pace” right from the start, but there was also quite a few at my speed or slower so I was never really running alone.  I found it easy to maintain my race pace and just focused on running ‘easy.”  Again, I used “Easy” for a mantra and it worked well.  I also pulled the Chesty Puller quote a few times:  “Pain is weakness leaving the body.”

Then,  I exposed my racing inexperience and my lack of confidence.  In the last ⅔ of a mile, my Garmin freaked out.  It went to a screen that is not in my manual!  It showed the compass setting from the GPS (claiming I was running SW, not east), and the time of day.  It would not reset.  I was panicked with no idea how far to the finish, what my pace was, anything.  I slowed to a walk for about 25 seconds and tried to reset it, but nothing worked.  So I decided to just run at a pace that felt OK and hope that I could sustain it to the end and it was not too slow.  My actual finish was 55:24.  So the Garmin lock-up probably caused me my “A” goal.  I was still much closer to my “A” goal than I thought was possible.  So, overall, I am very enthused with what the run says about my progress.  

Good cool-down and then the Garmin resets itself and returns to normal function.  It is still running and tracked both the end of the race and my cool-down.  I then went into the Chalet for a banana and the awards that included door prize drawings for turkeys and fixings.  Then home for a shower and an afternoon spent with Paige and Cooper.  

I really like my new Saucony Kinvara 3 racing shoes.  They are light and fast.  I still use the Triumph’s for my training, but I have lost enough weight that I can go with a lighter shoe for races without negative effects.  I had an active afternoon Saturday and I logged 6 easy miles on Sunday.  I had run with them for a couple of easy runs, and had planned on debuting them on Veteran’s day, but the rain pushed that back a week.    

I am disappointed with letting my Garmin throw me off.  It was simply something I was not ready for and had no contingency plans.  I charge my Garmin before every race, clear out the memory, etc. so I don’t have problems.  But I have never seen this before. I was feeling good during most of the race that I was able to maintain my pace without much effort, it felt natural and the Garmin splits show I was consistent.  But at the end, I let its failure shake me and throw me off my run.  So, I will have a back-up plan in the future!

I have one more 5k this year (Jingle Bell run on 12/1) so I am transitioning into two goals of: don’t gain weight with holiday food and get ready for spring half-marathon program.  

No comments: