Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Yoga Class

Yesterday I swam 20 laps (1000yds) during my lunch hour and then attended a yoga class after work.  I have written about it before, but I credit Runner’s World and Sage Rountree with teaching me that I need to add yoga to my cross training to improve as a runner.  I especially need the balance and core strengthening.  

Anyway, I went to a hatha class that is fairly low stress in a normal temp room (not over-heated).  I went into yoga with some preconceptions, including no understanding of how it could be strengthening.  After two classes, I can tell you it is challenging, especially holding some poses for many breaths.  Because most of my exercise is running, I have an imbalance between my quads and hamstrings. I also have a lack of strength in my upper body.  Yoga and weight training are the two best ways to help with both.  But it, like running, is a muscle tear down to build stronger and you feel the burn.  I struggle with the kneeling pose and some of the plank poses.  I think that both continued weight loss, practice, and the addition of weight training will help here.  

I got up this morning with plans to run my 5 miles before work.  Legs, hips, and back did not feel ready, so I have been doing some walking this morning and plan to do my miles after work.  Then Paige called and we have Cooper’s parent-teacher conferences at 6pm, so I will need to run later.  

One more weird thing.  I finished my laps, showered and shampooed, and then grabbed a salad on the way back to work. After work, I got a haircut with another shampoo before I went to class.  Pretty clean, right.  About ⅓ of the way through class, I started to get warmed up and my pores started stinking of pool chlorine.  Uggh and yuck!   

No comments: