Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hanson Marathon Method pt II

As I stated in an earlier post, I erased my spring plan and am reworking it based on the principles from the Hanson Marathon Method.  I am using their template for mapping out my days, workout types, workout distances, run pacing, etc.  I am adjusting some of the mileage to match a half-marathon rather than a full marathon schedule as well as extending it to a 20 week plan..  

I am going to the following schedule:

Sunday -- Long
Monday -- Easy
Tuesday -- Speed / Strength
Wednesday -- Off
Thursday -- Tempo
Friday -- Easy
Saturday -- Easy

I have also cut swimming from my schedule and I am reading their guidelines to determine what mix of yoga and weight training I will do for core strengthening.  

I will calculate the plan to ensure that my long runs are 25 to 30% of my weekly mileage, and I am following the 10% rule on both weekly and long run totals.  

First week is 38 miles, with most weeks in the 54 to 57 mile range.  Speed runs are 3 miles at various interval distances from 400m to 1,600m and Strength workouts are 6 miles with interval distances from 1 mile to 3 miles.  Tempo runs are 6 to 10 miles.  Speed, Strength, and Tempo runs also have 3 miles split between warm-up and cool-down.  Long runs range from 8 to 16 miles, with the balance being easy running.  Total mileage over 20 weeks is 995 miles.

In week 16, I am running a half marathon to basically test my hydration and nutrition plan; not planning on speed.  It will give me confidence and a check on my progress.  Week 17 is a heavy travel week for work and, fortunately, that coincides with an easier week.  I may need to adjust my strength and tempo workouts based on time, weather, and conditions at my destination.

Most weeks are 9 to 11 hours of running.  My rest day is Wednesday, and I am going to work on getting 2-4 of my remaining weekday runs done in the morning so I limit the impact on family time.  My longest Monday and Friday runs are about 1:36, so they should be easy to fit in.  My Strength get as long as 1:50, but I should be able to get them in early also.  Tempo runs have five weeks over 2 hours when I factor in warm-up and cool down. I just need to be out the door by 4:40 AM so I can be at the Gym at 5am when it opens, and then showered and to work by 7 or 7:30.  My shortest run is also an hour, so there is not an option to run during lunch.  

Finally, I am planning on doing the speed, strength, and tempo work on a treadmill until it is warmer outside and I am comfortable with my pacing.

No comments: